Debt and the future of finance in african countries
Debt and the future of finance in African countries"
- Date: Wednesday 12th October 2022
- Venue: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Washington DC
- Time: 10:00 - 11:30 am (Eastern Time)
- Format: Hybrid
Development in Africa has become increasingly precarious under the weight of external and internal shocks. For a time, debt and deficits managed to partly absorb those shocks, but in the new era of high global interest rates, such a strategy is not tenable anymore. Emerging and frontier countries are at risk of being excluded from capital markets in the short to medium term. What perspectives do debt markets hold for developing countries? And what can policy makers do to react to this new reality?
This conference, hosted by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and co-organised by the Finance for Development Lab and Africa Business, will look for innovative solutions for the debt crisis.
Discussions will be moderated by Omar Ben Yedder, African Business, Editor-in-Chief.
- Daniel Cohen, Chair, Finance for Development Lab
- Ibrahim Elbadawi, Managing Director, The Economic Research Forum
- Gargee Ghosh, President, Global Policy & Advocacy, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Nicole Kearse, Director, African Legal Support Facility
- Hamouda Chekir, Founding Member, Finance for Development Lab & Director, Lazard